Join us for one of the upcoming events! ALL MEMBERS are welcome to bake and help out at the 3 remaining tailgates hosted by ––2019, 2020, and 2021 parents.
Coming up in October –
- This Saturday, October 7 is NAVY HOME FOOTBALL Air Force! SPPA will provide our “Don’t Give Up Dessert” tailgate, and we need your help! SPPA 2019 parents are hosting, but all SPPA members are welcome to donate goodies and help at the tailgate. See the Sign-Up Genius email or contact Gregg Sermarini to donate food/help out: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thursday, October 19, 6:30pm, DINE AROUND WEST at Wegman’s King of Prussia – Henry Chang w/questions: email@example.com
- Saturday, October 21, NAVY HOME FOOTBALL UCF Knights, hosted by the SPPA 2020 parents. See the forthcoming Sign-Up Genius email or contact Gregg Sermarini.
Coming up in November –
- Thursday, November 2, 7:30pm, NAVY FOOTBALL Temple Owls at Lincoln Stadium, Philadelphia. Join 90 of your SPPA friends at a game close to home! Contact Gregg Sermarini for tickets or more information.
- Saturday, November 11, NAVY HOME FOOTBALL SMU Mustangs.
SPPA 2021 parents – come host the tailgate and have fun!
- Thursday, November 16, 6:30pm, DINE AROUND WEST at Wegman’s King of Prussia – contact Henry Chang with questions.
We look forward to seeing you at an SPPA event this fall!
Check the calendar for all events.
Welcome back, Alumni Parents and Parents of Current Midshipman!
SPPA has a full line up of activities planned for the 2017-2018 academic year, and we are looking forward to your participation and camaraderie!
Coming up in September —
- This Saturday, September 9 is the NAVY HOME FOOTBALL opener vs. Tulane! SPPA will provide our “Don’t Give Up Dessert” tailgate, and we need your help! SPPA ALUMNI parents are hosting, but all SPPA members are welcome to donate goodies and help at the tailgate. Contact Gregg Sermarini to donate food/help out: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wednesday, September 13 at 6:30PM, SPPA will host a General Meeting and Social Gathering at the Willow Grove VFW, located at 305 W. Moreland Rd, Willow Grove, directly across from the Willow Grove Mall. All club members are encouraged to attend – see email flyer to sign up for Potluck dinner items. RAFFLE winner will be drawn, and our meeting will feature a Blue and Gold Officer presentation. Please join us!
- Tuesday, September 19, 6:30pm, DINE AROUND EAST at Wegman’s Montgomery Mall – contact Chris Hoffman w/questions: CLH531@aol.com
- Thursday, September 21, 6:30pm, DINE AROUND WEST at Wegman’s King of Prussia – Henry Chang w/questions: email@example.com
- Class of 2019 Parents – enjoy 2/C Parent Weekend, September 22-24.
- Saturday, September 23, NAVY FOOTBALL Cincinnati, with the Class of 2018 as Tailgate Hosts.
We look forward to seeing you at an SPPA event in September!!
Mark your calendars now for the following events coming up in November and beyond!
- Thursday, November 10 – Dine Around West at Wegman’s King of Prussia
Hosted by Henry Chang, the evening starts at 6:30PM. Buy dinner, dessert or just come to socialize with other SPPA families and friends. This event is open to ALL members of SPPA – join us, meet up with old friends and make new ones!
- Saturday, November 12 – Last home football game vs. Tulsa
The Class of 2020 will be hosting this event, along with our fabulous SPPA Tailgate Committee. Come see what all the excitement is about – be on the lookout for the e-mail sign-up sheet early. Full details are available on the tail gate page.
- Wednesday, November 16 – 6:00PM – Commissioning 101
at the home of Christine & Steve Hoffman, 114 Blue Jay Way, North Wales, PA 19454. Learn from the experienced Class of 2016 parents the do’s and don’ts of Commissioning and Graduation Week!
Open to ALL MEMBERS OF SPPA, it is never too early to start gathering information and taking advantage of the insight of our senior members. The evening will include a potluck meal, with the main course being supplied by SPPA. We ask for the following donations, according to Class Year:
2017 – Desserts
2018 – Salads
2019 – Appetizers
2020 – Drinks
Alumni – Your choice
Please RSVP to Pat Field at firstname.lastname@example.org for planning purposes.
Future Events to Keep in Mind
- Thursday, Dec. 29, 2016 – All-Service Academies Ball
- Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2017 – SPPA Speaker Meeting
- Sunday, March 26, 2017 – Firstie Brunch at the Corinthian Yacht Club
SPPA is only successful if we make a difference in the lives of our families and Midshipmen. Please join us for the above events to ensure the best experiences for all of our members!
September SPPA Newsletter
Welcome back, Alumni Class Parents, and Parents of Current Midshipman!
SPPA has a full line up of activities planned for the 2016-2017 academic year, and we are looking forward to your participation and camaraderie!
We will be updating you monthly for what to attend/be on the look-out for on the Yard and with the SPPA family. Please remember – these activities, gatherings, general meetings and reminders are only helpful to you if you participate! We are all here to help each other and our Mids.
Coming up in September —
- Next Saturday, September 3 is the Navy home football opener vs. Fordham! SPPA will once again be participating in the “Miracle on the Asphalt” Tailgate, and we need your help! Andrew Assenmacher, Tailgate Chair, will be sending out a notice SOON – we have a new location where we can all gather to watch the MIDS march in! Look out for Andrew’s email and sign up to help — new parents, you are in for a treat!!
- Saturday, September 10 is Navy FB vs. UConn, with the Class of 2017 as Tailgate Hosts. ALL DONATIONS and HELP are greatly accepted at any of the FB tailgates – it is not limited to the hosting Class parents.
- On Tuesday, September 20 at 6:30PM, SPPA will host its first General Meeting and Social Gathering of 2016. We will be meeting at the Willow Grove VFW, located at 305 W. Moreland Rd, Willow Grove, directly across from the Willow Grove Mall. All club members are encouraged to attend – please bring a potluck dish to share. (2017-Main dish, 2018-Desserts, 2019-Side dishes, 2020-Salads, Alumni-your choice. SPPA will provide drinks & paper goods.) Come meet some new friends, share stories of your experiences, and hear what will be happening next for you and your Mid!
We look forward to seeing you at an SPPA event in September!!
Pat Field and Chris Hoffman, Co-Presidents
Hello SPPA Members,
A lot has been going on with SPPA! We had a wonderful turnout and a terrific time at our Annual Firstie Event, hosted by Henry and Chaw Ye Chang, on Sunday, April 10. Seven SPPA families were honored with heartfelt Mid letters and gifts from the Club – and there was hardly a dry eye in the room! Congratulations to all who have graduating Firsties – it has been quite a ride!
Now on to upcoming events:
Dine Arounds continue – there is one this week, Thursday April 22, in fact at the Wegmans in King of Prussia at 6:30PM – We look forward to seeing you there!
Please see the invitation for the potential newest members of our Club to the Welcome Aboard Dinner hosted by the USNA Alumni Assn on Thursday, May 12. Please join us for this evening and show these families the value of SPPA!
MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW for other upcoming SPPA EVENTS: (evites will be coming soon)
Plebe Welcome Picnic – Sunday, June 12 from 1-4PM at Ridley Creek State Park. ALL MEMBERS OF THE CLUB ARE ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND – AND ANY MIDS HOME ON LEAVE WOULD BE TREATED LIKE ROCK STARS!!!! Contact Kathy & Gregg Sermarini at email@example.com for more info or to see how you can help.
SPPA Family Picnic – Saturday July 23 from 1-4PM at the Tryzub in Horsham. Karley Sisler will be the host – please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Thank you for your continuing support of our MIDS — and please try to attend any/all of the events outlined above. The value of our Club is the support and friendship of its’ members, and your participation in events like these strengthen these bonds.
Go Navy — Beat Army!
USNA Parents Clubs
Plenty to cover as the spring rolls around — please read below and respond where requested!
- Tues., March 8th at 6:30PM – Dine Around East, Montgomeryville
- Thursday, March 17th at 6:30OM –Dine Around West, KofP Wegmans
SPPA Speaker and General Meeting is this Wednesday, March 9th at The Haverford School
Potluck dinner and General Meeting begin PROMPTLY at 6:30PM, Dr. Nagl will speak immediately following.
A few seats are still available – contact Karley Sisler (email@example.com) if you would like to attend
We are pleased to announce Dr. John Nagl, USMA graduate and Ninth Headmaster of The Haverford School, as our guest speaker. Dr. Nagl is an expert in counterinsurgency and the author of two books, Knife Fights: A Memoir of Modern War in Theory and Practice and Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife: Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam. Additionally, Dr. Nagl served as the inaugural Minerva Chair at USNA, conducting research on the relationship between culture and warfare and teaching a course on the history of counterinsurgency to the midshipmen.
Coming Soon: SPPA Annual Firstie Brunch
April 10, 2016 11AM -3PM at the Penn Oak Golf Club
ALL SPPA Members are invited and encouraged to attend, helping to celebrate this milestone for of the Class of 2016 parents! Please read the invitation, and RSVP to Henry Chang today!!
More Upcoming Events
- Tuesday, March 22 at 6:30 PM – Board Meeting at Wegmans, KofP. Board members attendance required, other Club members welcome.
- Sunday, April 10 at 11 AM – General Meeting and Firstie Brunch.
- Tuesday, May 10 at 6:30 PM – Board Meeting at Wegmans, Montgomeryville. Board members attendance required, other Club members welcome.
- Week of May 20-27, 2016 – USNA graduation, Herndon, Sea Trials.
Please support SPPA and our Midshipman and their parents by attending our events and supporting our Club.
We are here for you — and are a valuable resource for you as your Mid navigates the Yard.