Mark your calendars now for the following events coming up in November and beyond!
- Thursday, November 10 – Dine Around West at Wegman’s King of Prussia
Hosted by Henry Chang, the evening starts at 6:30PM. Buy dinner, dessert or just come to socialize with other SPPA families and friends. This event is open to ALL members of SPPA – join us, meet up with old friends and make new ones!
- Saturday, November 12 – Last home football game vs. Tulsa
The Class of 2020 will be hosting this event, along with our fabulous SPPA Tailgate Committee. Come see what all the excitement is about – be on the lookout for the e-mail sign-up sheet early. Full details are available on the tail gate page.
- Wednesday, November 16 – 6:00PM – Commissioning 101
at the home of Christine & Steve Hoffman, 114 Blue Jay Way, North Wales, PA 19454. Learn from the experienced Class of 2016 parents the do’s and don’ts of Commissioning and Graduation Week!
Open to ALL MEMBERS OF SPPA, it is never too early to start gathering information and taking advantage of the insight of our senior members. The evening will include a potluck meal, with the main course being supplied by SPPA. We ask for the following donations, according to Class Year:
2017 – Desserts
2018 – Salads
2019 – Appetizers
2020 – Drinks
Alumni – Your choice
Please RSVP to Pat Field at firstname.lastname@example.org for planning purposes.
Future Events to Keep in Mind
- Thursday, Dec. 29, 2016 – All-Service Academies Ball
- Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2017 – SPPA Speaker Meeting
- Sunday, March 26, 2017 – Firstie Brunch at the Corinthian Yacht Club
SPPA is only successful if we make a difference in the lives of our families and Midshipmen. Please join us for the above events to ensure the best experiences for all of our members!
September SPPA Newsletter
Welcome back, Alumni Class Parents, and Parents of Current Midshipman!
SPPA has a full line up of activities planned for the 2016-2017 academic year, and we are looking forward to your participation and camaraderie!
We will be updating you monthly for what to attend/be on the look-out for on the Yard and with the SPPA family. Please remember – these activities, gatherings, general meetings and reminders are only helpful to you if you participate! We are all here to help each other and our Mids.
Coming up in September —
- Next Saturday, September 3 is the Navy home football opener vs. Fordham! SPPA will once again be participating in the “Miracle on the Asphalt” Tailgate, and we need your help! Andrew Assenmacher, Tailgate Chair, will be sending out a notice SOON – we have a new location where we can all gather to watch the MIDS march in! Look out for Andrew’s email and sign up to help — new parents, you are in for a treat!!
- Saturday, September 10 is Navy FB vs. UConn, with the Class of 2017 as Tailgate Hosts. ALL DONATIONS and HELP are greatly accepted at any of the FB tailgates – it is not limited to the hosting Class parents.
- On Tuesday, September 20 at 6:30PM, SPPA will host its first General Meeting and Social Gathering of 2016. We will be meeting at the Willow Grove VFW, located at 305 W. Moreland Rd, Willow Grove, directly across from the Willow Grove Mall. All club members are encouraged to attend – please bring a potluck dish to share. (2017-Main dish, 2018-Desserts, 2019-Side dishes, 2020-Salads, Alumni-your choice. SPPA will provide drinks & paper goods.) Come meet some new friends, share stories of your experiences, and hear what will be happening next for you and your Mid!
We look forward to seeing you at an SPPA event in September!!
Pat Field and Chris Hoffman, Co-Presidents
Saturday, July 23rd, 2016
1:00 – 4:00 pm
Please join us for the
USNA Southeastern Pennsylvania
The Tryzub Sports Complex & Club
1 Lower State & County Line Roads
Horsham, PA 19044*
This year, the club will be providing hoagies but we need lots of help with salads, sides, veggie trays, cheese trays, fruit and beverages.
If you are volunteering to bring beverages, we ask that you please bring them in a cooler with ice.
Karley Sisler – email@example.com
Please let Karley know the number attending and
what food donation you will bring.
*map showing the Tryzub Sports Complex
PLEBE FAMILY PICNIC 2016!
Please join us! Please bring your Mid!
Sunday, June 12th, 2016
1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Ridley Creek State Park
351 Gradyville Road
Newtown Square, PA 19073
Pavilion #14 (same spot as last year)
Click HERE for map to the park. Click HERE for a map of the park.
All Hands On Deck – Calling for Donations!
Please sign up to bring something yummy to share with 8-12 people! This year, we will be providing sandwich wraps and chicken – but we need lots of help with salads, sides, desserts, and beverages. We would like 2 cases of water, 2 cases of soda, 2 cases of sports drinks, 3 green salads, 2 pasta salads, 1 potato salad, 2 veggie trays, 2 cheese trays, 2 chips and dip/salsa, soft pretzels, 3 cut up watermelon, 2 large bowls strawberries. A few desserts would also be welcome!
NOTE: If you are volunteering to bring any of the beverages, we ask that you please bring them in a cooler, on ice.
Please RSVP with the food item you’d like to bring, and the number of you that will be attending. If you think there’s a possibility that your Mid can make it, please let us know – they will be the rock stars of the day!
RSVP: Gregg and Kathy Sermarini (Zachary, ’19) firstname.lastname@example.org
610.247.9421 (Gregg cell), 484.944.4174 (Kathy cell)
Plenty to cover as the spring rolls around — please read below and respond where requested!
- Tues., March 8th at 6:30PM – Dine Around East, Montgomeryville
- Thursday, March 17th at 6:30OM –Dine Around West, KofP Wegmans
SPPA Speaker and General Meeting is this Wednesday, March 9th at The Haverford School
Potluck dinner and General Meeting begin PROMPTLY at 6:30PM, Dr. Nagl will speak immediately following.
A few seats are still available – contact Karley Sisler (email@example.com) if you would like to attend
We are pleased to announce Dr. John Nagl, USMA graduate and Ninth Headmaster of The Haverford School, as our guest speaker. Dr. Nagl is an expert in counterinsurgency and the author of two books, Knife Fights: A Memoir of Modern War in Theory and Practice and Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife: Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam. Additionally, Dr. Nagl served as the inaugural Minerva Chair at USNA, conducting research on the relationship between culture and warfare and teaching a course on the history of counterinsurgency to the midshipmen.
Coming Soon: SPPA Annual Firstie Brunch
April 10, 2016 11AM -3PM at the Penn Oak Golf Club
ALL SPPA Members are invited and encouraged to attend, helping to celebrate this milestone for of the Class of 2016 parents! Please read the invitation, and RSVP to Henry Chang today!!
More Upcoming Events
- Tuesday, March 22 at 6:30 PM – Board Meeting at Wegmans, KofP. Board members attendance required, other Club members welcome.
- Sunday, April 10 at 11 AM – General Meeting and Firstie Brunch.
- Tuesday, May 10 at 6:30 PM – Board Meeting at Wegmans, Montgomeryville. Board members attendance required, other Club members welcome.
- Week of May 20-27, 2016 – USNA graduation, Herndon, Sea Trials.
Please support SPPA and our Midshipman and their parents by attending our events and supporting our Club.
We are here for you — and are a valuable resource for you as your Mid navigates the Yard.
SPPA News- February 2016
Congrats to our Firsties who Ship-selected in January!
Tues., Feb. 9 at 6:30PM – Dine Around East, Montgomeryville CANCELED
Thursday, Feb.18 at 6:30OM – Dine Around West, KofP Wegmans
While the February 9th Dine Around is CANCELED, please make an effort to attend at King of Prussia next week.
Who knows what Henry Chang and gang will have planned – last month’s fire drill will be hard to top!!
Speaker Meeting – 6:30 PM – Wed., March 9, 2016
NEW DATE —PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
We are pleased to announce Dr. John Nagl, USMA graduate and Ninth Headmaster of The Haverford School, as our guest speaker. Dr. Nagl is an expert in counterinsurgency and the author of two books, Knife Fights: A Memoir of Modern War in Theory and Practice and Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife :Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam. Additionally, Dr. Nagl served as the inaugural Minerva Chair at USNA, conducting research on the relationship between culture and warfare and teaching a course on the history of counterinsurgency to the midshipmen. See the attached flyer, which is a repeat of what was sent two weeks ago. Contact Karley now (firstname.lastname@example.org) to reserve your seat – Seating is limited. We will be opening this event to Blue & Gold officers to extend invitations to prospective candidates/families on Friday.
COMING SOON: Firstie Brunch Invitations – Plan on attending this heartwarming event, where Firstie parents are honored and congratulated!!
More Upcoming events:
- Tuesday, March 22 –6:30PM Board Meeting at Wegmans, KofP
Board members attendance required, other Club members welcome.
- Sunday, April 10 at 11AM – General Meeting and Firstie Brunch
- Tuesday, May 10 –6:30 PM Board Meeting at Wegmans, Montgomeryville
Board members attendance required, other Club members welcome.
- Week of May 20-27, 2016 – USNA graduation, Herndon, Sea Trials